Monday, April 26, 2010

Her first kitchen injury...

Tonight Katiebug helped me make sweet potatoes, mashed with brown sugar and topped with marshmallows, broccoli and cheese, mashed white potatoes, and fake chicken patties.

We started with the sweet potatoes.  I showed her how to hold and peel them, then passed her the peeler.  She got a little overzealous though, and peeled her nail.  Poor kid.  She was a trooper though, and refused to cry.  Banned from peeling for the evening (and mildly pissed off because of it) Katie was given a new job.  I handed her a knife and we cut the potatoes together.  When they were done boiling, she got to add the butter.  With a little guidance, she was allowed to decide how much to add.

Now she's helped me cut broccoli a few times before, so I had her grab some from the fridge, gave her back the knife, and let her do it on her own.  She did really well!  I had to stop a few times to help her, but for the most part, I didn't touch the broccoli.  I'm immensely proud of how much my little Bug has progressed.  Two weeks ago, I never would have trusted her with that task.



Katiebug, which part was the most fun?
Dropping the potatoes and putting them in the pot.
How did you like getting to add the marshmallows?
Good!
What did you do with the broccoli?
Chop 'em!  I love to cut!
Which part was the hardest?
Cutting the potato.
What was your favorite part to eat?
Marshmallows.
Is there anything else you want to say?
*nods* I loooove your marshmallows!


I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that.


Results:  The sweet potatoes came out great.  Even Eric, who usually hates sweet potatoes, ate them.  Katie picked at the food as usual, but really enjoyed the marshmallows!

No comments:

Post a Comment